Thursday, December 2, 2010

Judge this book by its cover

After college, I got really into decorating blogs, websites and magazines. My two favorite magazines of all time were cancelled, however. Oh how I miss Domino and Blueprint – the only two magazines I used to purchase frequently. RIP, favorite shelter mags.
But thank goodness for blogs and for Domino: The Book of Decorating. Typically, the only books I buy are for everyday reading (classics, please). Only recently have I discovered the joy of sitting down with a good decorating book. You know the kind – it’s the type that calls for a cup of coffee and a cozy sitting place.
This book is lovely in every way. Compiled by the former Domino magazine staff, it provides tips and advice on how to decorate, and more importantly (and more helpful to me), why certain decorating elements mesh and why some don’t. This is my problem: I know what looks good and what doesn’t, but it’s hard for me to point out exactly what it is about a room or setting that doesn’t work.
In a nutshell, it’s beautiful, timeless and helpful. I’d really encourage you to check it out or buy a copy of your own.
Image: Google Images
Image: Katy Elliot's blog via Google Images
Image: Apartment Therapy
Images: Design Hole via Google Images


(I found the third image from Apartment Therapy. Check out Apartment Therapy's website - another killer design blog.)


On a related note, do any of you have recommendations on nice decorating books with great photography, advice, tips and how-tos? These days, I’m always on the lookout for a gorgeous book.

No comments:

Post a Comment