Monday, December 6, 2010

The Tube


Between high school and my married life, I rarely watched TV. It’s not that I didn’t like it; it’s that I was usually studying, hanging out with friends or out and about.

But, my, how things have changed in the past year. Instead of watching live TV, however, hubs and I will rent a series from Netflix and watch it in a few evenings. I totally love it and much prefer a disc full of shows to one show at a time.

Hubs has also introduced me to some great shows that I never would have watched on my own.

#1: Dexter
Ok, Showtime is in the middle of season 5, but it still counts even though it’s not a Netflix watch. This show about a (good looking) Iab guy for the Miami PD who hunts down and disposes of serial killers. Irony? I have to admit that I despised this thriller series at first. I started watching it with my husband when we were still dating and, of course, it had scary, suspenseful scenes in it which freaked me out when I was alone at night, but alas, I’ve grown to love good old Dexter.







#2: Flight of the Conchords
I’m in love with these New Zealander musicians. They’re uber funny guys with weird quirks and dead-pan delivery. It’s comedy for “white people” and I eat it up. Even better, you can download their songs on iTunes. They actually tour as musicians, which makes it even better.







#3: Arrested Development
Hilarious. Nuff said. This show’s characters are just perfect. A dysfunctional family in every way, the Bluths struggle to maintain the family business – and name – after Dad, the ringleader, is arrested and accused of conspiracy. The awkward moments are reminiscent of Greg Focker’s situation in Meet the Parents.



#4: Party Down
With Ken Marino, Adam Scott, Jane Lynch (season 1) and Lizzy Caplan, this show is bound to be funny. Ken’s character runs a catering business, but his servers are less than professional. The best part? This stuff could really happen, and it’s all too real sometimes. Definitely a good laugh.

#5: Reno 911
Why didn’t I watch this one sooner? It’s ridiculous in every way and makes me laugh every time. Full of stereotypical characters, it’s dumb humor, but everyone needs a little of that from time to time. (Dumb and Dumber is one of my favorites, by the way. Don’t hate.)





#6: Chappelle’s Show
Dave Chappelle is the man. His sketch comedies are funnier than most other skit shows I’ve seen. His standup is great, too.  

#7: Deadwood
Set in the gold-panning days in the Black Hills, Deadwood is a sobering portrayal of life in the late 1800’s. Timothy Olyphant leads the cast as they fight through the struggles of establishing a self-sufficient mountain town, fighting big government and dealing with troublemakers who come into Deadwood. Not that I’m a history pro, but Deadwood seems to paint a more accurate picture of this tough, dirty, depressing life than other movies and television shows I’ve watched. 







No comments:

Post a Comment